BiG X 680 | 780 | 880 | 1180
A Brief Insight
- High-power and fuel efficient engines from 687 hp to 1156 hp.
- 6 intake rollers for boosted reliability and a top quality chop
- MaxFlow chopping drums with 20, 28, 36 blades; Biogas drums with 40 and 48 blades
- Roller and disc conditioners for all applications
- KRONE VariLOC for flexible choice of long and short chops
- KRONE VariQuick for fast changeovers to conditioning or grass cutting
- Convenient hoop coupler for easy attachment to the base machine
- Enormous agility from independent wheel suspension
- Height-adjustable comfort cab for optimum visibility
BiG X 680 ∙ 780 ∙ 880 ∙ 1180, the XXL forage harvesters from KRONE for outputs of 687hp to 1156hp. They not only impress by their high efficiency and chop quality but also by high operator comfort and easy handling.
BiG X 680 | 780 | 880 | 1180
- KRONE chopping technology for optimum maize forage quality
- OptiMaize S, M, L, XL for variable chopping lengths from 4 mm to 30 mm
- KRONE MaxFlow and Biogas drum with different blade specifications combine to produce chops of the required length
- KRONE corn conditioner for optimum fracturing and kernel treatment
- KRONE VariLOC for flexible long and short chops without conversing the machine
OptiMaize brings full flexibility to all KRONE BiG X harvesters, allowing them to produce any type of chop length livestock farmers and Biogas producers call for. MaxFlow and Biogas drums are available with various numbers of blades and combine with matching KRONE conditioners to deliver perfect 4-30 mm (0.2″-1.2″) chops and the most intensive treatment. The BiG X offers this wide range of chops without operators having to swap or refit the chopping drum – simply by reducing the cutting frequency with the help of VariLOC.
OptiMaize S: Maize that is harvested to fuel biogas plants is chopped to very short lengths. Depending on moisture levels, chops of 4mm to 7mm lengths have been found ideal for this application, because shorter chops make the energy readily available to the methane producing bacteria in the fermenter thereby increasing gas yields. The KRONE forage harvesters use a Biogas drum with 40 or 48 blades to harvest biogas maize. Alternatively, OptiMaize S results can also be achieved with the 36 blade MaxFlow drum. For good fermentation, the leaves and stalks are subsequently fractured and the kernels destroyed by a KRONE corn conditioner with 123/144 teeth and rotors rotating at a 30 % speed difference.
OptiMaize M: Grass based rations for beef bulls and dairy cows which consist of up to 40 % of maize should be made up of 8 mm to 10 mm (0.3″ to 0.4″) chop lengths. This length of cut and an appropriate conditioning intensity avoids lack of fibre in the ration. OptiMaize M chopping quality is achieved by the MaxFlow drums with 36 and 28 blades. The ideal conditioner is the KRONE corn conditioner with 123/144 teeth whose speed differential can be increased from 30 % to 40 % or 50 %.
OptiMaize L: Chop lengths of 11 mm to 19 mm (0.4″ to 0.7″) are ideal for dairy feed rations where the percentage of maize is about 60 %. Rumens require silage maize that is reach in fibres. The OptiMaize L chopping quality is achieved by the KRONE MaxFlow drums with 28 or 20 blades. The complementary conditioner for these drums is the assembly with 105/123 teeth.The speed differential on these rollers can be increased from 30 % to 40 % or 50 %.
OptiMaize XL The maize in dairy feed rations made up of more than 80 % by maize and that do not contain sufficient quantities of grass and feed straw should be chopped to 20 mm to 30 mm lengths to avoid lack of structure in the feed. The ideal drum for long chops is the MaxFlow drum with 20 blades which is complemented by the KRONE corn conditioner with 105/123 teeth and 30 %, 40 % or 50 % speed differentials. The KRONE disc conditioners offer a 2.5 times larger friction surface area and therefore are the best option for optimum conditioning at maximum outputs.
The crop flow
The intake System
- Helps achieve the desired chop length
- 6 hydraulic intake rollers
- The Speed is set steplessly from the cab
The chopping drums
- Ensures for top Quality chops
- MaxFlow chopping drums with 20, 28 or 36 blades
- Biogas drums with 40 and 48 blades
- Spring-loaded chopping drum floor
- Spring-loaded accelerator backplate
- Outstanding chopping Quality even in inconsistent crop flows
Minimum changeover times
Grass channel/ corn corn conditioner
- Quick changeovers between corn conditioning and harvesting grass
- Removing the corn conditioner is convenient using a lowering mechanism
Powerful crop accelerator
- Adjust crop throw from the cab
- Precision fills of following trailers
- Reduced power when filling Trailers running alongside
- No losses
The crop flow
- Top quality chop from 6 intake rollers
- High throughput with universal and biogas drums
- Flexible chop lengths through VariLOC and the use of only half the number of blades
- Continuous crop fl ow from VariStream
- Variable crop throw is an option using StreamControl
- VariQuick – quick changeovers between corn and grass
Its innovative technology makes the BIG X a superior chopper with respect to performance and quality. Chopping lenghts can be set to individual requirements by adjusting the speeds of the intake rollers and using different numbers of blades on the chopping drum. Highest through puts are implemented by the spring-loaded floor underneath the drum and a spring-loaded accelerator backplate which guarantee a continuous crop flow.
The intake system
Hydraulic drive: LOC steplessly adjustable from cab
6 pre-compression rollers for a top quality chop
Metal detector protects against damage from foreign objects
On a precision forage harvester it is also the intake system that has an influence on the quality of chop. The 6 intake rollers on BiG X compress the material consistently at a high pressure so that it is easier and more precisely chopped. The hydraulic drive of the intake system allows operators to choose between setting the LOC manually or automatically.
Versatile and flexible: Six pre-compression rollers and the 820 mm gap between the leading roller with metal detector and the counterblade not only enhance pre-compression but also protect the blades better against metal objects, even at high-speed intake. The hydraulic drive in combination with AutoScan adjust the chop length automatically to the maturity of the crop.
Across the full width: The leading bottom rollers are studded with sensors across the full width which detect any metal that is about to enter the machine. The large throat volume makes for highest throughputs. The robust drives withstand the highest strains.
Folding open: Operators can fold the intake system forward to gain access to the chopping drum and the counterblade.
The chopping assembly
- KRONE chopping drums with 20, 28, 36, 40 or 48 blades
- High inertia: enclosed 660 mm (2’2″) diameter drums
- Bespoke 800 mm (2’7″) wide drums for the BiG X 680, 780, 880 and 1180 models
- Extremely fuel-efficient courtesy of a high inertia and pulling cuts
Matching the drum dimensions to the forager model and choosing the optimum number of blades not only boosts machine power but also makes the forager more flexible to suit more applications. The wide range of OptiMaize drums that are available for BiG X deliver top-quality chops in versatile applications anywhere in the world.
The material is pulled over the blades: The blades on the KRONE chopping drums are arranged chevron-style and at an angle of 11° relative to the counterblade. This arrangement makes for a continuous crop flow, extremely quiet running and maximum efficiency.
Cutting Edge: To ensure a good quality cut, the blade and the counterblade must be set to the correct gap. The blades are quick and easy to align using the eccentric plate.
Body guard: The blade bar protects the closed drum body from wear.
40-blade drum for OptiMaize S: With its higher throughputs and lower fuel consumption per tonne of chopped maize, the 40-blade Biogas cylinder pays for itself in no time. The extremely short chops of 2.5 mm to 15 mm ferment at a higher rate and increase the gas yield, allowing farmers to produce more biogas from a smaller fi eld.
High frequency of cuts: 40 blades can achieve an impressively high cutting frequency. So the Biogas drum cuts harvesting time and increases throughput – even when producing short LOCs.
Chopping the crop to short lengths, the KRONE Biogas drum with 40 blades increases throughput by nearly 25% over what is achieved by a standard 28-blade drum. At the same time, fuel consumption drops by approx. 16% per tonne of chopped material.
48-blade drum for OptiMaize S: Delivering a 20% higher cutting frequency than the 40-blade drum and a theoretical LOC ranging from just 2 to 12 mm, this Super Biogas drum with 8 blades produces an even shorter chop, Boosting gas yields and throughput at the biogas plant even further and reducing fuel consumption per tonne of crop with the same LOC.
The KRONE OptiMaxx roller conditioners
- OptiMaxxroller conditioners with 250 or 305 mm (9″ or 1′) diameters
- Slanted teeth for perfect conditioning to combine with OptiMaize S-XL drums
- The gap between the rollers is conveniently adjusted from the cab
- A strong spring assembly provides a consistent and high pressure
- Maximum fracturing from an up to 50 % speed difference (option)
Every single kernel must be cracked to achieve an optimal digestibility. These user demands are perfectly met by the new OptiMaxx 250/305 roller conditioners with their slanted teeth, a new KRONE development.
Perfect conditioning: The new OptiMaxx roller conditioners have their teeth slanted at a 5° angle.This slant produces a clearly higher shearing effect and perfect conditioning of the crop which receives a very intensive treatment both length- and sideways.
Maximum intensity: The two toothed rollers operate at a 30 % speed difference. This standard difference can now increase to 40-50 % to deliver 100 % conditioning and fracturing of long chops as produced by OptiMaize XL.
OptiMaxx 250 and 305
- 250 mm diameter rollers have slanted teeth that give a unique shearing effect
- 10 % longer rotors and a 7 % higher rpm over the previous model.The greater length increases the friction surface area and ensures an effective crop intake, intensive conditioning and optimum cracking results
- Bigger and stronger springsapply a consistently high pressure on the crops
- The two rollers in the assembly have different numbers of teeth – 105/123 for medium and long chopping lengths – 123/144 for short and medium chopping lengths
- A standard 30 % speed difference with a 40 % of 50 % differential being an option for intensive fracturing and optimum cracking results
- 305 mm diameter rollers with oblong teeth give a special shear effect
- A 11 % larger friction surface area and 20 % higher peripheral speed (than OptiMaxx 250) ensure an exemplary crop intake, intensive conditioning and optimum cracking amid high throughputs and long chop lengths.
- Stronger and more powerful springs apply a uniform, constant and high pressure on the crops
- A redesigned casing with beefier mountings ensures durability and longevity
- Temperature sensors on the roller bearings transmit the data to the operator terminal and ensure maximum safety
- Exemplarily easy to service and maintain thanks to large openings.Bearings, rollers and pulleys are replaced quickly and cleaning is as easy.
- The two rollers in the assembly have different numbers of teeth:
– 125/150 for medium and long chopping lengths
– 150/175 for short and medium chopping lengths
- A standard 30 % speed difference with a 40 % of 50 % differential being an option for intensive fracturing and optimum cracking results
The disc conditioner
- Perfect conditioning and fracturing that preserves structure
- Large 265mm disc diameter for high output
- 2.5 times larger friction surface area than the roller conditioner
- The gap between the discs adjusts conveniently from the cab
The KRONE disc conditioner delivers perfectly conditioned material from a low input power, which is attributed to the special V-form of the discs. This results in a large friction surface area and makes for an enormous throughput plus optimally fractured leaves and stalks and thoroughly damaged kernels.
Great friction: With the discs on the outer shaft measuring 265mm in diameter and those on the inner shaft measuring 135mm, the two discs are rotating towards each other at identical speeds but at different circumference speeds. This results in an enormous frictional effect that not only grinds all kernels but also fractures all stalks – even long chops – in an optimum way.
Variable disc gap: The operator can control the disc gap from the cab, adjusting it steplessly to the current conditions. The current setting is shown on the display screen.
Great flexibility: The gap between the discs can be adjusted to individual requirements to achieve perfect treatment at all chopping lengths – from OptiMaize S to XL.
- Consistent performance in inconsistent crop flows
- Extremely smooth running – also in lumpy swaths
- High throughputsTop quality chop
- Operator comfort to perfection
KRONE VariStream comprises a spring-loaded floor beneath the chopping drum and a spring-loaded back plate in the crop accelerator housing. The system ensures blockage free and smooth operation, even in varying volumes of crop. The technology allows operators to get maximum productivity and use less fuel per hour.
Best quality of chop in inconsistent crop flows: The spring-loaded chopping drum floor is connected to the anvil of the counterblade at the front. As these are readjusted, the gap between the blades and floor does not change. So any movement of the spring-loaded chopping drum floor that compensates for an inconsistency in the crop flow will not affect the quality of chop.
A tight crop stream: The spring-loaded backplate on the crop accelerator ensures maximum throws and targeted fills in all conditions.
- An adjustable crop throw at the touch of a button from the cab
- Tight crop stream even with a long crop throw
- The shorter the crop throw, the less power is needed
- Fills the trailer accurately without spillage
The crop throw is controlled from the cab by adjusting the door in the backplate on the crop accelerator. This way, operators can adjust the throw quickly to the current filling situation. As the accelerator needs less power to cover a short distance, the Operator can free up engine output and use it for chopping and higher throughputs.
Variable throws: The crop throw is controlled via the hinged flap on the backplate of the accelerator. For a short throw, the flap moves out of the crop flow, so there is little contact between the crop and the accelerator. For a long throw, the flap moves into the crop flow, so there is more contact between the crop and the accelerator.
Short-distance throws: Filling trailers that are travelling alongside the forager does not require a powerful throw. Instead, in these situations engine output can be freed to boost the chopping capacity.
Long-distance crop throws: With the trailer following behind, the crop stream needs to be ejected from the spout at a higher speed. A strong, tight stream is needed to cover the long distance over the tractor to the trailer.
- Headers are swapped easily
- Convenient attachment and removal
- Very short set-up timesCompact combination
- Maximum safety
The multi-coupler system of the BiG X allows operators to couple headers fast, easy and dependably from the seat, reducing changeover times when preparing for road travel or different crops. This way, more time is spent on productive work.
KRONE EasyFlow 300 S | 380 S
Large capacity: Working at widths of 3 m and 3.8 m, the EasyFlow pick-up on a BIG X gives the machine plenty of intake capacity. Depending on the swath width and your working speed, you can vary EasyFlow rpm steplessly from the cab or have it adjusted automatically to the current forward speed without the operator having to interfere. Its curved round steel bracket gives the Header the flexibility to pivot through a large angle and makes for easy attachment and removal.
KRONE XDisc 620
KRONE XDisc is a versatile direct cut header that cuts whole crop silage cleanly and without losses. The powerful and massive 900 mm diameter feed auger on the XDisc 620 works trouble-free even in dense and tall crops.
High-power & high-efficiency: Working at widths of up to 10.5 m (34’5”), BiG X features the widest variable-row width header in the world. The endless collectors feed the stalks to the middle where they are turned through 90° and pulled in lengthwise.
Three work widths: The new XCollect header is available in three work widths: 600-3: 6 m (9’8″) (8 rows), 750-3: 7.5 m (24’7″) (10 rows) and 900-3: 9 m (29’6″) (12 rows). The three-section headers work to the well-proven EasyCollect collector principle. The XCollect splits the action of cutting and feeding into two separate processes.
- 8- or 12-cylinder V-engines from Liebherr
- Compact V design for transverse mounting
- Final Tier 4 / Stage 4 or 5 compliant
- 687-1156 hp maximum continuous engine power
- High efficiency and quiet running
Advanced Common-Rail engine technology from Liebherr suggests superior outputs and fuel economy. The engines stand out for optimum torques, quiet running, superb fuel economy and high efficiencies.
Stepless designed: The header and intake system are driven by oil pumps. This concept allows operators to adjust the header and intake speeds steplessly – ideal for adjusting automatically to varying harvesting conditions.
Optimum ground drive: Courtesy of a hydro pump that is flange-mounted on the main gearbox, Big X changes its ground speed infinitely variably. This is set either automatically or manually from the cab. The dependable powertrain guarantees maximum reliability.
4WD: BiG X 680/780/880 are available with hydraulic wheel motors on all four wheels as an option.
The running gear
- Front-wheel drive as standard,four-wheel drive optional
- Strong wheel motors from Bosch
- RexrothDrive control with three drive modes
- Driving concept with more ground clearance
4WD: BiG X 680/780/880 are available with hydraulic wheel motors on all four wheels as an option.
Good build: The use of hydraulic wheel motors results in a very generous ground clearance and creates room for a larger diameter chopping drum and also leads to a more even weight distribution.
Great maneuvrability from independent wheel suspension: The independent wheel suspension system off ers plenty of room for steering so that even when clad with massive tyres BiG X remains a very nimble machine in undulating terrain. In addition, the suspended system provides maximum operator comfort.
Extremely agile: Using wheel motors increases the steering angle to a generous 50° for tightest turns and perfect match-up on the headland.
Superior visibility and servicing
- LED lights for best visibility in the dark
- Optimum access during maintenance work
- Large storage space for tools
- Central lubrication for more comfort
If the workday lasts well into the night, the driver has to get along well in the dark everywhere. The BiG X offers a comprehensive package of light that turns night into day. Wide-open side hoods, a hinged engine compartment cover, a swiveling ascent and removable fenders made of plastic ensure that all modules are optimally accessible for maintenance.
Day and night: BiG X can take up to 23 optional LED work lights which make field work safe and effective even during those night shifts.
Moving the ladder out of the way: The access to the cab is easily moved out of the way to give convenient access to all nearside service points.
Automatic lubrication: The auto lubricator and its large grease reservoir allow operators to spend less time servicing and maintaining the machine.
Easy access: The hoods open wide and the rear mudguards give perfect access to all assemblies. LEDs are in place for easy service and maintenance even in poor light conditions.
Useful storage space: The nearside storage compartment at the rear boasts a pivoting table which accommodates the toolbox for convenient use.
Easy to get at: The batteries are stored in the storage space on the right side of the machine where they are in easy access.
The multiple tank concept
- Seven variants for maximum flexibility in the selection of the tank system
- Customers have the choice between more diesel or more silage
- Integrated silage additive system with coarse and fine dosing option
- Maximum capacities for long working days
A system of main, side and auxiliary tanks allows customers to tailor their fill levels for diesel, silage and water to their specific needs. In total, there are seven different combinations available to meet the globally varying requirements for filling quantities.
Storing enough liquid: Big X features a flexible system of individualized machine application solutions: For example, you can add a 150l urea solution tank to the 1,500l or 1,100l diesel fuel tank and a 275l or 505l silage additive unit.
Silage additive options: The dispenser for adding silage additive at high rates (0.5-7.5l / min) is integrated on the off side platform next to the cab. You can also use the nearside tank to store silage additive and increase the on-board capacity to 505l.Two 13-liter silage additive dispensers for small can rates (0.03-0.25l / min). In addition, it is possible to fi t to external silage additive system. The silage additive can also be added relative to yields (option).
- Extremely spacious and quiet
- Maximum seating and operator comfort
- 360° panoramic view
- Optimum visibility from the raised LiftCab (option)
It takes a comfortable working place to stay fit and alert during those long working days. The spacious Silent Space cab offers such an ideal environment. Providing generous space to the operator and a passenger, it provides a fully air-conditioning and an absolutely functional working place. The exclusive LiftCab offers an unprecedented panoramic view from a height of up to 70cm.
A scissor lift for the cab: The cab is mounted on a scissor lift which raises and lowers the cabin to any position – infinitely variably and within a few seconds. The area under the cab floor is shielded to prevent of dirt and debris.
Superb visibility: If the BiG X is equipped with a LiftCab, it will be possible to raise the complete cab to any height up 70 cm. From the raised position operators enjoy a full overview of the tall stands and can easily monitor the filling processes. As another advantage, the raised cab increases the distance between the operator and the chopping assemblies thereby reducing the noise level at operator’s ear.
Less operator stress – more peace of mind: Harvesting high-yielding maize crops, forager operators often are driving up towards an up to 4m high wall of crop all day. The cab lift allows them to raise their seating position and enjoy a clear view of the field, reducing fatigue and helping them concentrate on the machine and spot any hazardous situations more easily.
Everything in control: High-sided trailers can be a problem for the forager operator who has to determine when the trailer is filled to capacity. In this situation, raising the cab by 70cm is a big help. Whether the trailer is travelling alongside or behind the forager, the operator has always a clear view of the load area and can ensure optimum fills.
Panoramic view: High side windows and slim posts give the operator an unobstructed 360° view of all processes.
Operator Assist Systems
Chopping as short as necessary: A photo-optical sensor in the middle of the maize header measures the maturity of the plant and automatically adjusts the length of cut. Green maize is cut to longer chops to get more structure and reduce effluent in the clamp. By comparison, dry and brittle maize is cut to short chops to increase compaction. This way, AutoScan eases the load on the operator and reduces fuel consumption by optimizing the length of cut.
Constant power: After the operator selects the desired engine load, ConstantPower automatically matches the forward speed to the current stand and yields, easing the strain on the operator and improving fuel economy at maximum throughput. In combination with AutoScan, this system takes the overall quality of chop and machine performance to a whole new level.
The EasyLoad auto loading system in combination with a camera-based 3D image analysis system allows operators to fill any type of trailer that is running alongside the harvester. The system controls the open/close spout and the rotate left/right functions and allows operators to select one of several filling strategies. Monitoring all functions from the in-cab screen, operators are more at ease.
Intelligent precaution: The optional RockProtect system provides intelligent protection from damage by stones as it fully automatically halts the pre-compression rollers within milliseconds after a stone is detected. The sensitivity of the system is set by the operator.
Auto guidance: BiG X is ready to accept ISOBUS guidance systems from various manufacturers. On the move, the operator activates autoguidance from the KRONE joystick
Measuring yields per field: The optional KRONE CropControl yield metering system measures the volume of crop harvested per field quickly and accurately at the touch of a button. The system allows operators to document meticulously all yield information in all fields harvested.
As an option it is possible to adjust the counterblade automatically and from the cab. Based on a knock sensor that measures the gap between the counterblade and the chopping blades and a rotary encoder that triggers two motors that adjust the counterblade, the system reduces operator stress as he or she can concentrate on the work at hand. At the same time, it is also possible to adjust the counterblade manually from the external control unit.
The optional AgriNIR online sensor supplies accurate data on moisture and nutrient levels on the move. This information (DM, starch, crude protein, crude ash, crude fat, ADF, NDF) is collected to and allocated to the harvested field by the KRONE operator terminal. The AgriNIR online sensor is easy to install on the BiG X spout where it is protected from damage by a cover.
Convenient weighing: AutoCalibrate is the remote calibration tool for the BiG X‘s yield metering system. It is based on a weighing system that is installed on one of the trailers in the harvest chain. Both the trailer and the forager are equipped with data loggers that communicate via a mobile network. Calibration takes place in real time as the ‘calibrating machine’ is being filled. The system is highly accurate and is the first system of its kind to eliminate the trip to the weighbridge.
Sun blinds: Sun blinds are available for the side and rear windows to protect you from the sun and heat.
Superior visibility: Now matter the conditions – rain or dust –BiG X operators always enjoy a clear view thanks to three optional wipers on the front window, two on the side windows and one on the rear window. All wipers have water jets.
Clear concept: The heating system and the air conditioning are operated from the terminal above the front window. The Follow- Home function lights your way as you get down from the cab. After you switch off for the night, some headlights stay switched on for several minutes, allowing you to fi nd your way safely.
The cab: All controls including the joystick, the screens and the terminals are designed to ergonomic standards and in easy reach from the operator seat.
Want to find out more? Don’t hesitate to contact us!